How Does the Water for Life Filter Work?
The technology behind the Water for Life filters is saving lives. Using this unique but simple filter, up to 500 gallons of clean water can be produced daily. Besides the filter kit, the only “equipment” needed is a 5-gallon bucket.
- The design of the filter is simple
- The construction is fast.
- And the maintenance is low.
For a low one-time cost, people in more than 70 impoverished countries now have safe drinking water.
The Way It Works
Water for Life water filters use a technology initially developed for kidney dialysis. Hollow Fiber Membranes are made of small U-shaped micro tubes. Going through tiny micro pores, water enters the cores.
These pores, called PointONE Filter’s, are just 0.1-micron absolute.
As a result, cholera, E. coli, and typhoid-causing bacteria, as well as protozoa, cannot pass. Of all the filtration systems currently available, this one offers the highest removal level at 99.99999% while maintaining a high flow rate based on the large number of tubes.
Water for Life also offers the PointZERO Two Purifier, which has 0.02-micron absolute pores. Capable of removing viruses mechanically at a 99.99997% rate, this filter exceeds recommendations set by both the NSF and EPA. In addition, every filter is certified for absolute microns.
At 0.01 micron absolute, there is no way for bacteria or protozoa to pass through, and at 0.02-micron absolute, viruses, protozoa, and bacteria are blocked. With a simple design and easy construction, people in third-world countries do not have to mess with purification chemicals, digging wells, or constructing sand filters.
Instead, all they need is the filter kit, a 5-gallon bucket, and a water source to enjoy clean, safe water in minutes.
For setup, a 1.5-inch hole is drilled in the bottom of a clean plastic bucket. The connector, hose, and filter are then screwed onto the bucket. After being filled with water from virtually any source, the filter head is lowered below the water line allowing gravity to work.
Having such a high flow rate, there is no need to store water, which dramatically reduces the risk of contamination. Working on gravity alone, this water filter is an extremely cost-efficient solution. For just pennies a day, a single filter is enough to provide safe drinking water to a family, a school, or an entire village.
The Water for Life water filter is also easy to maintain. If the filter becomes clogged or the flow rate slows, an included syringe filled with clean water is used to backwash the filter.
Although the water filter is used for daily living, it is also an excellent solution during a natural disaster. Regardless of the situation, the water filter prevents a number of waterborne diseases.
- Bacteria – At a success rate of 99.99999%, the bacteria that cause amoebic dysentery, botulism, cholera, coliform bacteria, E. Coli, salmonella, and streptococcus are eliminated
- Protozoa – Also at a removal rate of 99.99999%, protozoa, also known as cysts, are removed, which prevents diseases like cyclospora, cryptosporidium, and giardia.
- Viruses – When using the viral purifier, viruses that cause adenovirus, astrovirus, coronavirus (SARS), coxsackievirus, echovirus, hepatitis A (HAV), hepatitis E (HEV), Norwalk, poliovirus, reovirus, and rotavirus are eliminated at a success rate of 99.99997%.